Chocolate truffles may look complicated, but they’re quite simple to prepare. Chef Pierre Gignac demonstrates his method, making it easy for you to whip up a batch for your sweetie this Valentine’s Day.
Ingredients for Chocolate Truffles
- 6.5 oz semisweet chocolate
- 5 tbsp heavy cream
- .5 c unsalted butter
- .75 tsp spirit of your choice
- 2.25 cups of finely chopped nuts
Directions to Make Chocolate Truffles
- Coarsely chop the chocolate and put in a small stainless steel mixing bowl with the butter and the cream.
- Set the bowl over a pot filled about 1/3 of the way up with water, making sure the water doesn’t touch the bowl.
- Bring to a very low simmer and melt the mixture, stirring until it is smooth and glossy.
- Remove from heat and stir in the flavoring alcohol if you choose to do so.
- Pour into a container that will hold the mixture in a 1-inch-deep layer and chill thoroughly.
- Use a melon baller that’s been dipped in hot water to scoop the chocolate, then shape the truffles and roll them to form balls.
- Chill if it softens too much.
- Serve them as is or rolled in cacao, or finely chopped walnuts, hazelnuts, almonds, pistachios, toasted coconut or dipped in chocolate.
Chocolate Truffles pair well with coffee and liqueurs.