When a town with fewer than 3,500 year-round residents has not one but two kayaking outfitters, you can be sure of two things: The kayaking around Kennebunkport is excellent, and paddling our waters is an experience even first-timers shouldn’t miss. Whether you’re skilled with a paddle and looking to rent a kayak or you’re interested in lessons or a guided kayaking tour, here’s how to get out on the water.
Coastal Maine Kayak
8 Western Avenue, Kennebunkport, Maine, 207-967-6065
Located in Kennebunkport’s Lower Village, this full-service kayak shop offers stand-up paddleboard (SUP), river kayak and sea kayak rentals, plus instruction and tours led by licensed Maine guides. Outings are available for all skill levels and interests. Hear tales of local history as you paddle the tidal Kennebunk River. Keep a lookout for Goat Island Light as you follow Kennebunkport’s scenic coast toward Cape Porpoise. Try to spy waterfowl while kayaking the Mousam River estuary.
Kennebunkport, Maine, 888-925-7496
For more than 20 years, this Kennebunkport-based kayak rental and tour company has made it easy to embrace the sport. Your SUP or kayak rental includes free delivery to the location of your choice, a customized map of the area you’ll be paddling and a free, quick lesson, if desired. Fishing kayaks may be rented, too. Prefer a guided tour? Stand-up paddleboard excursions are offered daily in-season during the early morning, daytime and at sunset. Reserve your space for one of these leisurely, scenic trips, which depart from varying locations based on the tides.
Kennebunkport-Area Kayak Launch Sites
If you’re looking for a spot to put in and explore on your own, these suggested kayak launch sites are located just a short drive from the Cape Arundel Inn & Resort:
- Government Wharf Launch, off Ocean Avenue, Kennebunkport
- Colony Beach, Ocean Avenue, Kennebunkport
- Cape Porpoise Causeway, Pier Road, Kennebunkport (accessible from 3 hours before until 3 hours after high tide)
- Goose Rocks Beach, Kings Highway, Kennebunkport
- Mousam River Boat Landing, Route 9 (Western Avenue), Kennebunk
- Vine’s Landing, Biddeford Pool (avoid launching against the tide)
- Little River, Granite Point Road, Biddeford (one of three launches within the Rachel Carson National Wildlife Refuge)